Saturday, July 5, 2008

WTF? Giant Water Beetle!


Last night around 9pm, Jaime and I were sitting on the sofa and he had a plate on a pillow resting on his lap, getting ready to eat. Suddenly I saw this huuuuge bug sitting on the pillow with claws raised up over the plate and I squeaked!!! Now, I'm not afraid of insects but this sucker was the size of my hand (no exaggeration) and had mean-looking pincer legs.

He shook it out on the outside veranda, where I took some pics (of course). I thought it looked like a huge water bug, and after Googling this morning, I was right - a GIANT water beetle. Apparently they can give a mean sting!! Good thing I noticed it in time before it stung Jaime, or even worse MEEEE!!! As Malena would have said..."that's life in the tropics." :-)

Be sure to click the photo to see just how mean it really looks. I think I'll call it Ripley. He (she) is still in the garden somewhere.

No comments:

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." -- Anon